We have a room in our home that we have designated as our media room. It’s a comfortable and fun space we created for our family to watch movies and sports or play video games together. One of our favorite things about this room has been the white container we keep filled with boxes of movie candy. Whenever we have a family movie night, we open up the container and pick our favorite candy to enjoy during the film. We try to save this candy as a special treat for movie watching nights but every now and then, when someone’s sweet tooth is working overtime, we might break down and open a box or two without watching a movie.
Family and friends also enjoy picking a box of candy when they join us for a movie night but the container only holds about ten boxes of candy and doesn’t give the feeling of a movie theater experience. We wanted to display the candy in a more functional and decorative way. We searched the Internet and found that we really liked the glass display cases that look like the ones you would see in a movie theater concession area. Unfortunately, we decided that this option wouldn’t work for us for two reasons. The first was the cost. The glass candy display cases for home media rooms we found for sale were very expensive. The second and most important reason was that we just didn’t have the room for one. We needed something that would not take up too much space in the room.
Since we could never find anything else we particularly liked, we decided we would create our own unique display. We had been thinking about different options for quite a while until I recently saw an article on one of the social media sites about all the ways pegboard can be used in a home and an idea popped into my head. We could make a framed pegboard to display our candy boxes! We had a bare wall where we could hang the display and it would take up a limited amount of space. We were excited to finally have an idea about what we wanted and started on our DIY media room candy display right away.
Supplies we used to make our DIY Media Room Candy Display:
1. A 20″ X 24″ open frame that we purchased at Hobby Lobby (we chose this size based on the width of the short entry wall into the room where we planned to hang the framed board)
2. Black Chalkboard Paint
3. Leftover pegboard in our attic that we had used for another project in our garage. Bonus: It was already the perfect width to fit in the frame, it just had to be cut to the correct length.
4. Liquid Nails
5. Hanging hardware for the back of the frame
6. Hanging hardware for the wall
7. Black plastic peg hooks
8. Chalk marker
9. Candy boxes. Lots of candy boxes.
Steps we took to make our DIY Media Room Candy Display:
1. Cut the pegboard to fit the frame.
2. Painted the pegboard with the black chalkboard paint. We used three coats.
3. Used liquid nails to secure the pegboard to the frame.
4. Attached hanging hardware to the back of the frame.
5. Attached hanging hardware to the wall.
6. Hung the framed pegboard to the wall.
7. Inserted peg hooks into the pegboard.
8. Organized the candy boxes on the display board.
9. Used chalkboard marker to write the name of the candy behind the various boxes.
The framed pegboard candy display we created adds a unique touch to our media room decor and I couldn’t be happier with the results. Overall it was an inexpensive and easy DIY project. It would also be great to hang one in a game room or display one on a large easel for an outdoor movie night.
I can’t wait for our next family movie night! Now instead of picking our candy from a small container on the shelf, we have a fun display on the wall to choose our favorite box of candy before show time.